Does Money Buy Happiness?

by - August 27, 2017

Just a couple of days ago, the sole winner of the $700 million lottery was just announced and with that lottery fever slowly died down. I might never see a sight such as an ordinary woman purchasing $200 worth of lottery tickets in a single day, or to see my father race around Chinatown to purchase a single lotto ticket from numerous stores for the fun of it. This will be an image that will probably stick with me till my untimely death, but hey I'm only like a teen! I got years to go... I hope... (That turned dark)

If you're curious about why I am talking about a lottery that no one can win, then I'll inform you. It made me think about this particular comment I read on Youtube one day which prompted a debate about this particular human being who happened to well known in the social media business and quite wealthy. This particular human being which I'm not going to name didn't feel contempt with their life at one point and felt pressured by society to act a certain way.  I noticed half of the replies to the comment was things such as, "Yes, because there are so many things to be depressed about when you made millions of dollars on stupid little things."


This led to me to become curious about a question that has no true answer.

                                           "Does being wealthy bring happiness?"



H-E double hockey sticks yes it does! (I'm basically saying Hell the way my Catholic school made us say it.) I mean I could pay off my loan, my mortgage, my house! Scratch that, I could sell my house and move into the nice part of New York City where thousands of tourist crowds around and there isn't any horrible traffic.  Wait that doesn't exist... New York traffic is cruddy. Plain cruddy.

 If you haven't caught on, I'm joking. I can't actually buy a lottery ticket now, can I? That would be an "illegal" action. Well unless I hire a certain somebody to make me a fake ID which I am of course joking again.  These are what I'm assuming are the thoughts that pass through the lottery buying human beings participating in this craze.

Out of all seriousness, the idea of having money is fascinating. The ideas seem to be endless when you have a cash flow for once. You could buy a nice fancy car, clothes or even friends that are real as a unicorn. There are always two sides to every story though.

My global teacher once told my small class a life lesson on greed and how it changed a family. I'm not actually sure if this story is actually true or false, but I'll tell you it anyway. There was a family who was like a tightly knitted glove, and by a miracle, they won a lottery.  This became the tipping point for the family. The once tightly knitted family that everyone knew broke and crumbled into pieces. Eventually, they became broke and homeless and the saddest part of all is when everything else failed they didn't have each other.

This basically shows how sometimes money isn't meant to be in the hands of a select few. It's probably why rich people remain rich people. It's not like they burn through their cash like some of us will. Money is like a flame. If you're not careful with it, the flame could manifest and become uncontrollably. It would consume everything in its path whether past relationship, friendship and your sanity. However, if you learn how to tame the flame, it could transform into a fire which can be a tool to your disposable and help you through life.

I'm now going to assume that not most of the human population is tempted or gullible enough to be consumed by the greed and think about what factors could being rich bring out. Here one, fake people.

We all had our share of fake people at one point in our life. It's something we can't control and sadly can't being out among the masses. If you were slightly richer than your peers, you might be surrounded by a few. People are attracted to wealth after all.


Negativity assigned, wealth can be a pretty neat thing as long as you're not a fool and spend it all in the first get-go. If you're surrounded by the right set of people and mindset than that's fine.



I hope this post happened to be randomly entertaining or didn't bore you death. This was my second attempt to write this post, so hopefully, everything made sense as I wrote this at 1 am and re-wrote this at 11.26 pm which is a bit late.... : I
















You May Also Like

0 comments